Daal Baati Recipe
1. Making batis by first boiling them in water
Put 1 liter water in a utensil and put it on the burner, for boiling. When the water starts boiling, put the round balls into the water and let them boil for 15 minutes. Take out the boiled balls in a plate. Now put them in an oven till they turn brown. Now dip the baked batis in melted ghee and take them out in a plate or bowl.
2. Making batis without boiling them
Bake the round balls in an oven, while turning them, till they turn brown. Now take them out in a plate. Burst the baked batis, dip them in melted ghee and take them out in a plate or bowl.
Both the batis are good but I like the boiled ones better.
- White Lentils – 100 gm (one small bowl)
- Green Lentils – 50 gm (half small bowl)
- Chickpea Lentils – 50 gm (half small bowl)
- Ghee – 2 tablespoon
- Asafetida – 1 to 2 pinch
- Cumin seed – one small spoon
- Turmeric Powder – half small spoon
- Coriander seed powder – one small spoon
- Red chili powder – half small spoon
- Tomato – 2 to 3
- Green chili – 3 to 4
- Ginger – 2 inch long piece
- Coriander – half small bowl (cut finely)
- Salt – As per taste ( one small spoon)
- Wheat Flour – 400 gm (one small bowl)
- Semolina – 100 gm (one small bowl)
- Ghee – 100 gm (5 tablespoon)
- Cumin seed – ½ small spoon
- Carom seed – ½ small spoon
- Baking Powder – ½ small spoon
- Salt – as per taste
Wash and soak the pulses in water for one hour. Put soaked pulses in the cooker, along with one glass water and salt. Now place the cooker on the burner for boiling. After one whistle cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the burner. Grind tomato, green chili and one inch piece of ginger, finely in a grinder.
Put 1 ½ tablespoon ghee in the frying pan and heat it. Add asafoetida and cumin seed. After the cumin seed is fried, mix turmeric powder and coriander seed powder. Stir 2 to 3 times. Add grinded tomato mixture, red chili powder and one inch long ginger (cut finely). Fry the masala till the oil starts floating on top of the mixture. Mix this mixture in the cooker. Now mix half of the coriander in the lentils, inside the cooker.