Vegan courgette cake recipe
Use up a glut of courgettes and bake this vegan loaf cake with tangy lemon drizzle. Ideal for a coffee morning or afternoon tea.
Method of courgette cake
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Butter and line a 900g loaf tin. Beat together the vegan butter block, sugar and lemon zest until combined. Add the plant milk and beat slowly to combine. Add the ground almonds, flour and baking powder, along with the grated courgette, and stir to combine. Spoon the batter into the prepared tin (it will be quite thick) and level the top. Bake for 55-60 mins until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely in the tin.
- To make the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and add 1 tbsp of the lemon juice and stir to combine. Add a little more lemon juice if needed, ½ tsp at a time, until you reach your desired consistency. Remove the cake from the tin and drizzle over the icing, allowing it to drip down the sides. Leave to set for 20-30 mins. Cut into slices to serve.
- 80g vegan butter block, softened, plus extra for the tin
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 2 lemons, zested, 1 juiced
- 100ml plant milk (we used oat)
- 100g ground almonds
- 175g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 175g courgettes, coarsely grated
- For the icing
- 200g icing sugar