Vegan Weight-Loss Lentil Soup Recipe
This vegan weight-loss lentil soup recipe has the familiar flavors of turmeric, ginger and cumin that pair so well with lentils. Lentils, green beans and spinach give this vegan soup a healthy dose of fiber that helps you feel fuller, longer. Serve this soup with a little extra lemon and cilantro.
This green lentil soup features 9 grams of fiber per serving. Fiber is a key nutrient that helps you feel full for longer periods of time, so you’re more likely to feel satisfied after eating a bowl of this delicious soup. Plus, fiber prevents your body from absorbing some of the calories in the foods you eat. Fiber also helps people maintain a healthier weight over time.
How to Store Lentil Soup
Lentil soup can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 5 days. To reheat, you can microwave the soup on High until warm.
Can You Freeze Lentil Soup?
Yes, lentil soup is easy to freeze. After the soup has cooled, portion and store it in freezer-safe containers. Freeze for up to 2 months. Be sure to label the containers so you can keep track of its freshness. Check out more tips for freezing soup.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, turmeric, ginger and cumin; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in broth, lentils, chickpeas and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach, green beans and lemon juice, stirring until the spinach wilts and the green beans are heated through, about 1 minute. Ladle the soup into 6 bowls; sprinkle with crushed red pepper and garnish with a sprig of cilantro, if desired.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups lower-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry green lentils
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Cilantro sprigs for garnish