Creamy Vegan Shiitake & Kale Pasta – a healthy weeknight dinner coated in a simple, delicious 5-ingredient sauce made with miso and cashews.
Happy Monday, it’s pasta time! This is a spin on a recipe that has been a reader favorite (also one of my favorites) from our cookbook. In the book, this creamy miso pasta is made with brussels sprouts – have you tried it? If so, you’re going to love this version with shiitake mushrooms and kale. If you haven’t tried it, well now’s your chance.
The cashew cream has just 5 ingredients: cashews, miso paste, garlic, lemon, and black pepper. It’s so simple to make, yet it’s so hearty and delicious – especially with sautéed shiitake mushrooms. Shiitakes have such a wonderful umami flavor – I just love them here with this bright lemon-y sauce. There’s also some kale in here for good measure.
I used brown rice fusilli, but any short pasta cut (spirals, shells, etc) will work great in here to soak up the sauce.
Creamy Vegan Shiitake & Kale Pasta
Creamy Vegan Shiitake & Kale Pasta is a healthy weeknight dinner coated in a simple, delicious 5-ingredient sauce made with miso and cashews. You’ll love this veggie-packed comfort food!
- 8 ounces fusilli pasta (I used brown rice fusilli)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces destemmed and sliced shiitake mushrooms
- ⅓ cup chopped scallions
- juice of ½ a small lemon, more to taste
- 5 to 6 kale leaves, sliced
- pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- shaved macadamia nut and/or parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
Miso cashew lemon cream
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked at least 4 hours or overnight*
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper