Try this refreshingly different vegan Indian Style Potato Salad with Turmeric and Green Peas, for a vibrant take on an old favorite. The dressing sparkles on your tastebuds and is made of ginger, turmeric, mustard seeds, and coconut milk. This is a vegan, gluten-free, soy-free and nut-free recipe.
Here’s a recipe perfect to make Memorial Day eats just a little more special. It’s leaner and definitely healthier than any old potato salad recipe, and it has a dash of delicious spice from turmeric, mustard seeds, and ginger. My vegan Indian Style Potato Salad with Turmeric and Green Peas.
This is a great side dish to serve alongside nearly any dish, but especially with grilled foods. The lemon and scallions add a pop of freshness that goes beautifully with anything charred.
- It’s delicious. The turmeric-potato-green-peas-scallions combination is to die for. And the creamy coconut milk tying it together…yum!
- It’s fresh and vibrant and so summery.
- It’s healthy. There’s no mayo here, vegan or otherwise, and everything in here is actually good for you.
- It’s easy to put together. Anyone can do it.
- Baby red or yellow potatoes (or regular yellow or red potatoes are fine). I like the look of the baby potatoes in this salad.
- Coconut oil. Be sure to use coconut oil in this recipe because the flavor is terrific with the mustard, ginger and turmeric.
- Black mustard seeds. I am often asked if one should use yellow or black mustard seeds in Indian recipes and the answer, always, is black.
- Turmeric: This adds both a lovely color and lots of healthfulness to the recipe.
- Red pepper flakes: For spice, of course. Use more or less, as you prefer.
- Ginger: Ginger with coconut is a match made in flavor heaven and one you will come to adore, if you give it a try.
- Coconut milk: This adds incredible creaminess and ties all the flavors in this salad together
- Spring onions or scallions. These add amazing oniony flavor to the salad.
- Lime or lemon juice: For welcome tartness.
- Green peas. I love the pop of color from the green peas here, and the freshness they add. Be sure to thaw them thoroughly before using as you won’t be cooking them further.
- Salt to taste
Calories: 118kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Potassium: 462mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 208IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 1mg