Craving something that’s comforting, but healthy? Make this creamy wild rice soup! Autumn veggies and herbs pack it with rich, savory flavor.
Wild Rice Soup Recipe Ingredients
If you’ve gotten this far, you know that this isn’t your average wild rice soup recipe. Classic creamy chicken and wild rice soup is filled with ingredients that I don’t usually use – chicken, of course, chicken broth, and even heavy cream. At its core, though, traditional wild rice soup contains a base of delicious fall vegetables and rice, so it’s not hard to imagine a vegetarian version.
Here’s what I use in mine:
- Wild rice! I love its nutty flavor with the savory broth and hearty autumn veggies.
- White beans – I blend some into the soup’s creamy base and leave the rest whole. They add plenty of plant-based protein to this nourishing soup. No chicken necessary!
- Cashews and almond milk – They blend together with the white beans to create the soup’s delicious creamy texture.
- Miso paste and Dijon mustard – They might be unconventional, but they make this recipe really exceptional, adding savory, umami flavor to the lightly creamy broth.
- A whole lotta veggies – You’ll find scallions, mushrooms, celery, carrots, garlic, AND kale in this creamy wild rice soup! The kale adds a wonderful fresh pop of color, while the rest of the veggies deepen the soup’s rich, savory flavor.
- Fresh rosemary and thyme – Their cozy flavors make this wild rice soup perfect for fall!
- Lemon juice – To brighten it all up.
Ingredients – Creamy base
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup cooked cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light green parts, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced rosemary
- 1 bunch of thyme, bundled
- 1¼ cups cooked cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more for serving
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups chopped kale
- Chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- Pinches of red pepper flakes, optional
- Make the creamy base: Place the almond milk, cashews, white beans, miso paste, and Dijon mustard in a blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Make the soup: Heat the olive oil in a medium-large Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add the scallions, celery, carrot, mushrooms, and salt and stir. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, rosemary, thyme, cannellini beans, pepper, and water and stir. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the thyme bundle and stir in the cashew mixture, rice, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and kale. Simmer over low heat until the kale is wilted, about 5 minutes. Season to taste and serve with more lemon juice, parsley and pinches of red pepper flakes, if desired.