Kheer Indian Rice Pudding
Kheer Indian rice pudding is a delicious authentic dessert recipe that tastes just like the Indian restaurant. This recipe is vegan friendly and is simple. Unlike most Indian dishes, it only requires one spice, cardamom. The total time does not account for the 2 hour rest required for the sauce to thicken.
- 2 cup skim milk almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 ⅓ cup half and half (divided 1 + 1/3) coconut cream
- ¼ cup basmati rice
- ¼ cup sweetener of choice
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp golden raisins
- crushed almonds for topping
- 2 cup almond milk (subbed for skim milk)
- 1 ⅓ cup canned coconut milk
- ¼ cup agave or maple syrup
- In a dutch oven or oiled stock pot, bring milk, 1 cup of half and half, rice, and cardamom powder to a simmer. Stir this continuously for 25 minutes. If a film of milk fat forms on top just use a spoon to remove it. Ensure the milk is not burning to the bottom by stirring firmly and using the stirring spoon to scratch at the bottom to loosen anything that is starting to stick.
- After 25 minutes, add the remaining cream, sweetener, and the raisins. Allow this to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Continue stirring. Remove from heat and place in an air tight dish. Place the dish in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Prior to serving, top with crushed almonds, and spoon into bowls.
Saturated Fat: 4g
Vitamin A: 357IU
Vitamin C: 1mg