Spicy chilli bean soup recipe
There’s minimal prep time to make this hearty bean soup, which works just as well as an easy dinner or packaged in a flask for lunch.
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Serves: 4
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan and fry the chopped onion over a medium heat until tender. Add the garlic and tomato purée, stirring for 1-2 mins until combined. Sprinkle in the spices and cook for another 1 min.
- Tip in the chopped tomatoes, half fill the can with water, and add to the pan. Pour in the stock and simmer on a medium heat for 10-15 mins, uncovered. Season, then whizz using a hand blender until smooth. Add the beans and red pepper, and cook for another 15 mins until the pepper is tender.
- Serve in bowls topped with a small pile of tortilla chips and a lime wedge.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 400g can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunky dice
- tortilla chips, to serve
- 4 limes wedges, to serve