Vegan biryani recipe
Try our vegan version of a biryani. Our plant-based recipe has raisins and cashews for texture and flavour, and provides all of your 5-a-day.
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear, then cook in a pan of fresh cold water following pack instructions for about 20 mins, or until almost tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan over a medium heat and stir in the onion, cinnamon stick, chilli, garlic and ginger so they’re coated in the oil. Scatter over the cumin seeds, cover and cook for 5 mins.
- Stir well, then add the pepper and aubergine, and cook, stirring for 3-5 mins, until the veg is starting to soften. Stir in the curry powder, then the tomatoes and bouillon. Tip in the cauliflower florets, coriander stems and raisins, then cover and simmer for 10 mins over a medium-low heat.
- Drain the rice, then tip it into the veg mixture and gently toss to combine. Cover and cook over a low heat for 8 mins until the rice and cauliflower are tender. Try not to add extra liquid, as you don’t want the end result to be wet. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 5 mins, then gently toss through the cashews and coriander leaves. Will keep chilled for two days. Leave to cool completely first. Reheat portions in the microwave until piping hot before serving.
- 240g brown basmati rice
- 1½ tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion (220g), finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 20g fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 large aubergine (320g), cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp vegan bouillon powder
- 320g small cauliflower florets
- 30g coriander, stems and leaves separated and chopped
- 40g flame raisins
- 50g unsalted cashew nuts, toasted