Vegan ramen recipe
This coconut vegan ramen is made simple with the addition of curry powder – so you don’t have to have a storecupboard full of spices at your disposal to create depth of flavour. It’s a deliciously creamy, spicy, slurpable bowl of noodles.
- Heat the oil in a stock pot over a medium heat and fry the onion and carrot for 10 minutes until very soft. Add the garlic and ginger, and fry for a minute more. Stir in the curry powder.
- Tip in the coconut milk, miso, soy and stock, then bring to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until thickened slightly. Remove from the heat and blitz with a hand blender until smooth.
- Cook the ramen in salted water following pack instructions until al dente, then drain. Stir the spinach into the coconut broth and leave to stand until wilted.
- Divide the noodles between two warmed bowls, then ladle over the soup. Scatter with the spring onions, sesame, nori and silgochu, then squeeze over the lime wedges to serve.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp medium curry powder
- 400g tin coconut milk
- 1 tbsp white miso
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 200g ramen noodles
- 100g spinach
- a small bunch spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- nori and silgochu, to serve
- 1 lime, cut into wedges