Here’s a blueprint recipe for an authentic Indian “chutney” that is popular when you are hosting a social gathering as well as in street food snacks…Mint Chutney! It is hard to imagine Indian street food without a flavorful chutney on the side. Sometimes there is a sweet and tangy sauce and sometimes it is something as flavorful and fresh as Mint Chutney Pudina Chutney. So, let us take a look at how to prepare authentic Indian mint chutney.
Needless to say, it is made from Mint leaves (homegrown), but what is less known is that it also has supporting ingredients like coconut, coriander seeds, and chilies that are sauteed together for an explosion of flavor. The recipe I am sharing today is not just for pairing with snacks. It is good for Rice, Dosa or Idlis too. This used to be and still is one of my daughter’s favorite chutney recipes.
Is Pudina Or Mint Chutney nutritious?
Yes! Mint is known to soothe upset stomachs and aid in digestion. I have at least one planter in my garden for Mint. It is one of the herbs that are easy to grow in any climate and thrives in summer.
Does Pudina chutney need coconut?
The recipe I am sharing today does have coconut unlike what you find in most books or sites. The version without coconut pairs well with snacks and this version pairs well with snacks as well as rice, or Dosas, etc.
- Place a pan over medium heat and add coconut oil. As the oil heats up, add chana dal and saute for 10-15 seconds.
- Now, add coriander seeds and saute for 20 seconds.
- Add clean, washed mint leaves and green chilies and fry for about 45 seconds or until you get a nice aroma from the mint leaves.
- Switch off the heat and let it cool.
- Now, blend the mint mixture with grated coconut, salt and 2 tsp of lemon juice and approximately ½ cup water. Blend into a smooth consistency.
- To prepare the tadka or tempering: Place a pan over medium heat add 1 tsp of coconut oil. As it heats up, add ½ tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp urad dal and 1 red chilli. Fry until they start to sizzle and pour them over the chutney.
- Mint Chutney is ready to serve with your favorite meal or snack!