California Roll Salad Recipe – Turn your sushi into a salad
We “unrolled” the components of this Japanese dish and drizzled it with spicy mayo. Top it off with furikake, a combo of sesame seeds and dried seaweed (available at most supermarkets).
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. sriracha
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- 1 to 2 heads Boston lettuce, separated into leaves
- 1 1/2 c. cooked short-grain brown rice
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced into ribbons
- 1 avocado, cut into pieces
- 8 oz. surimi or crabmeat
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Furikake seasoning, for sprinkling
Found in dishes such as California rolls, surimi is a seafood product made from real fish (usually Alaska pollack) mixed with other ingredients like starch, salt, and crabmeat to make a relatively inexpensive, sustainable shellfish substitute.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving): About 280 calories, 13.5 g fat (2 g saturated), 10 g protein, 595 mg sodium, 33 g carb, 6 g fiber