This cream of mushroom soup tastes decadent, but it’s secretly healthy. Its creamy texture comes from pureed cauliflower!
My cream of mushroom soup recipe is rich, creamy, and deeply savory, but it doesn’t call for you to stir in cream or melt butter. In fact, this soup is completely vegan – you won’t find any butter, heavy cream, or chicken broth here. Instead, it gets its luscious creamy texture from blended cauliflower!
And as far as flavor goes, you won’t miss the cream or butter at all. Aromatics like leeks, celery, garlic, and fresh thyme create the savory base of the soup. A full pound of fresh mushrooms loads it with umami flavor, and tamari, Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, and a generous splash of white wine make it deliciously tangy.
Sauté the aromatic veggies and mushrooms, add the cauliflower and vegetable stock, and simmer until everything’s tender. Then, blend the soup with the Dijon and balsamic, and enjoy this yummy, all-veggie cream of mushroom soup.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts, sliced (2 cups)
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound cauliflower, broken into florets (5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Drizzle of coconut milk
- Crusty bread, toasted as croutons or served on the side
- Additional mushrooms, sautéed
- Toasted pine nuts
- Microgreens or tender thyme leaves
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks, celery, ¼ teaspoon salt, and cook 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Stir in the tamari, wine, garlic, and thyme and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the wine has evaporated. Add the broth and the cauliflower.
- Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is very soft. Transfer to a blender, add the mustard and vinegar, and blend until smooth. Season to taste and serve with desired garnishes.