A six-ingredient Mushroom Spinach Curry that goes from stovetop to table in less than 15 minutes. The creamy coconut sauce flavored with curry powder is out of the world. All you need to serve with it is rice. A vegan, gluten-free, soy-free and nut-free recipe.
One of my favorite curries to make in a hurry is this dazzlingly flavorful and utterly simple Mushroom Spinach Curry. It needs a handful of ingredients, is super-nutritious, and tastes great served simply with rice.
I make this with the curry powder I shared with you yesterday. A big advantage of having premade, flavorful spice mixes on hand is that you can really cut down on cooking time while keeping all of the flavor and complexity in your dishes.
- It’s easy. It goes from scratch to done in practically 15 minutes.
- There’s very little prep work involved, besides chopping an onion and some mushrooms.
- It’s tasty. Flavorful veggies swimming in a creamy, spiced coconut sauce. What’s not to love?
- It’s versatile. You can tweak it to your tastes by adding other things you love. Chickpeas? Check. Bell peppers or zucchini? Check.
- It’s one pot.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (optional)
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 sprig (about 10-12 leaves) curry leaves (optional)
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms (or button mushrooms, sliced)
- 5 oz baby spinach (or regular spinach. Chop regular spinach but you can leave the baby spinach whole. Frozen spinach is fine here, thaw before using)
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 14 oz coconut milk (canned)
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the mustard, if using, and wait for it to sputter.
- Add the onions and curry leaves, if using, and saute on medium heat until it sotens and becomes translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and spinach and saute until the spinach wilts, which should take no more than a couple of minutes.
- Add half the coconut milk and the curry powder with half a cup of water. Stir to mix and let the sauce come to a boil.
- Add salt to taste and the remaining coconut milk. Warm the curry through at this point but turn off the heat before it comes to a boil.
- Check salt and add more if needed.
Calories: 181kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Potassium: 508mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2248IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 4mg