Make these portobello mushroom tacos for an easy, flavorful dinner! Creamy vegan jalapeño sauce spices up the tangy, meaty mushroom filling.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy mushroom tacos recipe:
- Tortillas – Choose your favorite! Flour tortillas, corn tortillas, or a flour/corn mix would all work here. I love to use my homemade tortillas in this recipe. If you’re gluten-free, be sure to use certified gluten-free corn tortillas.
- Grilled portobello mushrooms – With their juicy, meaty texture, portobello mushrooms are one of my favorite plant-based taco fillings. Like I do in my veggie burger, portobello burger, and sautéed mushroom recipes, I season them with balsamic vinegar and tamari or soy sauce to bring out their savory flavor.
- Avocado slices – For creamy richness.
- Shredded red cabbage – It adds a perfect crunch.
- Fresh cilantro – A veggie taco essential!
- Creamy vegan jalapeño sauce – Last, but not least! Make it as spicy as you like. Use 1/2 of a jalapeño for a mildly spicy sauce, 1 for medium, or 2 for extra spicy. Start with less and taste, because you can always add more.
When your taco filling ingredients are ready, char the tortillas and load them up. If you want even more heat, finish the portobello tacos with a few extra jalapeño slices, and enjoy!
If you don’t have these exact ingredients on hand, feel free to swap in what you do have! This taco filling is flexible, and all sorts of variations would work well. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Add something juicy. Top the tacos with diced cherry tomatoes or pico de gallo.
- No cabbage? No worries. Use romaine lettuce in its place.
- Go for guac. Swap the avocado slices for a big scoop of guacamole.
- Add extra veggies. Fajita peppers would be fantastic.
- Make it heartier. Spoon in some cooked black beans.
- Increase the crunch. Sneak in diced red onion, pickled red onion, sliced radishes, or pickled jalapeños!
- ½, 1 or 2 jalapeños (depending on your spice preference)
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 3 hours, then drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 clove of garlic)
- ½ cup chopped and peeled cucumber
- Squeeze of lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
- Splash of olive oil
- Splash of soy sauce
- Splash of balsamic vinegar
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- Handful of cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced, optional
- 6 tortillas, flour or corn, warmed or grilled