Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe – Vegan
Here, cauliflower florets and leaves are roasted in the oven with cumin and coriander until browned, the vegetable’s deep, nutty flavors coaxed out by the heat. Reserve some roasted florets and leaves for garnish, then simmer the remaining cauliflower mixture with turmeric and potato, which adds creamy texture to this thick, velvety soup. Sprinkle the soup with any remaining cauliflower, crunchy toasted almonds and as much fresh parsley as you’d like.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Arrange the chopped cauliflower, any cauliflower leaves and the onions on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with cumin, coriander, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Use your hands to mix everything together, then arrange in an even layer. Roast until the cauliflower is browned and cooked through but still has some bite, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in the potato and turmeric, add the stock and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and cook until the potato is soft, about 10 minutes.
- When the cauliflower is done, reserve about 1 cup cauliflower for the topping (including leaves, if you have them) and add the remaining cauliflower and onions to the soup. Return the soup to a simmer and cook until flavors meld, about 5 minutes. Blitz with an immersion blender until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Toast the almonds in a dry skillet over low heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 4 minutes. When you are ready to serve, ladle the soup into warmed bowls. Top with the reserved roasted cauliflower and a scattering of almonds and parsley.
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), stem discarded, florets cut into 2-inch pieces, leaves reserved (if available)
- 2 medium white onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large potato (about 14 ounces), skin on, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves, for serving