Matar paneer recipe
Serve this classic veggie Indian dish with cheese and peas in a spicy tomato sauce as an easy midweek meal. It takes just 25 minutes to make.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep:15 mins
- Cook:10 mins
- Serves 2
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over high heat until it’s shimmering hot. Add the paneer, then turn the heat down a little. Fry until it starts to brown at the edges, then turn it over and brown on each side – the paneer will brown faster than you think, so don’t walk away. Remove the paneer from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Put the ginger, cumin, turmeric, ground coriander and chilli in the pan, and fry everything for 1 min. Add the tomatoes, mashing them with the back of a spoon and simmer everything for 5 mins until the sauce smells fragrant. Add a splash of water if it’s too thick. Season well. Add the peas and simmer for a further 2 mins, then stir in the paneer and sprinkle over the garam masala. Divide between two bowls, top with coriander leaves and serve with naan bread, roti or rice.
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 225g paneer, cut into 3cm cubes
- 2.5cm piece ginger, grated
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 green chilli, finely sliced
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or ½ 400g can chopped tomatoes)
- 150g frozen peas
- 1 tsp garam masala
- small pack coriander, roughly chopped
- naan bread, roti or rice, to serve