Mangoes and refreshing beverages, two of my favorite things on a hot summers day. They were practically made for each other, and it’s like mango lassis were invented just for me. Except everyone seems to really enjoy them too. It’s almost like drinking a milkshake, only way better for you. Filled with fruit and an unsweetened yogurt, I mean, you’re basically doing yourself a favor for having one. I see them on menus at Indian restaurants, and they taunt me, don’t they know I would so order one every time, if they just made them without the dairy??? Luckily for you, and me, they’re really very easy to make at home!
And right now, the sun is steaming up the city and mangoes are overflowing the shelves of grocery stores (at least in the US), not to mention, they’re at the best price of the year, it’s the best time to make yourself a lassi. Making a vegan mango lassi is easy, just use vegan yogurt! The mildly tangy nondairy yogurts work perfectly in a lassi. Some nondairy milk thins out the beverage until it’s a nice thick sipping consistency. Don’t skip the cardamom if you can. It’s aromatic, lightly floral, and just rounds out the flavor of the mango lassi perfectly. A pinch of salt enhances the natural sweetness of the mangoes.
- 2 cups (375g) cut mango (~3 medium mangoes)
- 1 cup (225g) plain unsweetened nondairy yogurt*
- 1/2 cup (120g) nondairy milk, or more
- scant 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup or agave (optional, not always necessary)
- Place cut mango into a blender along with the yogurt, milk, cardamom, and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste, and add sweetener if it needs it. Also add more milk if you find it too thick.
- Serve chilled, with ice if desired.
- It should keep for a day in the refrigerator, but is best enjoyed right away.